Saturday, January 2, 2010

Why Don't She Write?

I borrowed that question from the film Dances With Wolves. Although I am not a pioneer headed out across the vast prairie of the Midwest, I sometimes feel that isolated and alone. Teaching can make a person extremely singular in vision.

This has been Christmas once again. As usual my tree went up after we got out for break. My cookies got baked Christmas Eve and our presents under the tree appeared at the same time. I sent out Christmas letters just before Santa's visit in the hopes that my friends would appreciate the events of our past year. I certainly enjoyed theirs. And in the midst of all that frivolity, I graded papers.

And that theme resonated throughout these past two weeks--grade papers, have a little Christmas, grade papers. Now I know that many teachers don't grade papers at holiday time. They successfully or unsuccessfully have a schedule that allows them some freedom from this during this optimum family time. Not me. I am doomed to always see those two weeks off as time to get some grading done.

So my comments here have been put on hold because the paper load is overwhelming. But, as you can see, I have one resolution for the new year. I will only work as hard as my students work. For years I think most teachers have worked twice as hard as their students. We overachieve in a thousand ways. They show up and ask "What are we doing today?" I think I will start answering that question with "What can you learn today about >>>>>> (fill in the empty space)? Their achievement will depend on them, rather than me. Jim Fay always says that it is not our job to motivate them. So the new year will find me waiting for them.

In the meantime, I have this weekend to finish grading essays exams, book reviews and re-grading essays. It will actually go fast as I have relaxed my standards a bit. After all if they wrote the perfect paper and completed the work as assigned, what would I do as a follow up? My job depends on their failure to act. Interesting dilemma....

1 comment:

  1. Annabel,

    Yes, teaching is a career that can occupy as much of your life as you let it (and then some more).

    I am not sure what level you are teaching but I am not sure what level you are teaching but you may be interested in looking at the eMarking Assistant or automated eGrading Assistant Rubrics as a way to help you with your grading. eMarking Assistant focuses on reusable comment banks for marking electronic assignments but the automated eGrading rubrics are applicable to any time of grading work. They allow you to create your own rubrics which respond to key presses by highlighting standards and recording, totalling and rescaling marks. You can see a demo by going to http://eMarkingAssistant.com and looking at the automated marking rubric video.

    Feel free to look at the web site for more information and a link to a free 60 day trial.

    Best wishes,
    http://eMarkingAssistant.com

    ReplyDelete